What on Earth is Photon Disinfection?10 June 2022
Photon Disinfection is an effective means to destroy bacteria and fungi automatically. When utilized with a photocatalytic coating, (Ti02) it also destroys viruses, VOCs and odors. Unlike Ultra Violet lighting, Vetrospace’s technology is completely safe for humans and other materials. The light is non-ionizing and has been tested by the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority of Finland. (STUK)
Our lighting has two functions, the blue light (WiSDOM AiR) is activated when the space is unoccupied, while the white light (ANTiBAC) is activated when someone enters the space. ANTiBAC looks like a normal light, but contains proportionally more blue light than general white lighting. This light offers productivity enhancing properties similar to daylight.
Blue light disinfection’s antimicrobic effect
At the beginning of March, M.D Leena Rahkonen asked staff at the maternity hospital about areas that are in need of The ability of blue light to destroy microbes is based on its ability to energize naturally light-sensitive compounds inside the micro-organism so that they start producing reactive oxygen radicals. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) are molecules containing very reactive oxygen, causing damage to the microbe and destroys it internally.
Research evidence shows that blue light is very effective even on microbes inside biofilm, unlike common biocides.
- Airborne bacteria attach to the surface.
- Bacteria starts to grow and divide, forming a dense cellular layer.
- While growing, the bacteria produce mucus and extracellular substances that form an outer protective nourishing layer.
- The bacteria continue to grow and divide, protected by the film.
- If the biofilm breaks, bacteria are
Photocatalytic reaction of the Catalytic coating
- The coating is activated by light with suitable wavelength and intensity.
- The activated coating produces reactive oxygen species, ROS. (superoxide radicals (•O₂-), hydroperoxide radicals (•HO₂), hydroxyl radicals (•OH) ja H₂O₂)
- The ROS are extremely short-lived, reacting with the microbes and VOCs on the surface.
- Microbes and VOCs disintegrate, and ROS are neutralized into water and carbon dioxide.
The antimicrobic effect of ANTiBAC and WiSDOM AiR luminaires with the catalytic coating
In spring 2019, laboratory tests were conducted at the FINAS accredited Metropolilab to determine the efficiency of our photon disinfection luminaires in the inactivation of Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538) with the catalytic coating. The bacteria were plated on a regular melamine table top and irradiated at low intensity (blue light 0,7 mW/cm² and white light 500 lux). The results were confirmed by conducting three separate tests, with each test utilizing three parallel samples from each point of analysis. 6 hour irradiation resulted in reduction of up to > 99,9 % In our GROUPSPACE pods the blue light intensity is about 2,5mW/cm² ja white light intensity about 1200 lux.
Benefits of photon disinfection
- Ecological – Chemical free
- Constant performance – Not susceptible to human error
- Automatic – Works continually in the background
- Long term usage – >50000 hours ~ 11 years of normal use
- Maintenance free – No running costs
- Easy to use – No training needed
- Non-Ionizing – Does not harm humans or materials
- Does not promote antimicrobial resistance
- Safe – No chemicals or UV light